Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Evo-Devo

When it comes to Evo-Devo discussion, I was most interested/fascinated with the thinking of whales and dolphins. As humans, we assume that we're the most intelligent species on the planet because we're on top of the food chain. We're able to communicate fully with other humans, and can do a plethora of things that other species cannot.  However, we are not able to show images to other humans without talking; something that whales and dolphins can do.  Their primary sense is visual and their primary means of communication is auditory.  Can you imagine being able to transmit ideas to another person and they just SEE the image?! That's remarkable! I think we take marine life for granted, and I'm excited to see what scientists uncover more about them.


Darwinsim matters to me because it helps further understand evolution in all species.  The three principles that explain Darwin's concept are variation, heredity and the struggle for existance.  Essentially, those that have a specific trait to help them survive, will pass that trait down to their offspring.  Those that do not have this trait and do not adapt, will die off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment